Saturday, February 28, 2009

Butterick 5248 - Floral mock wrap top with puff sleeve bottoms

This pattern claims to be "Fast&Easy". Hahahahahahaha! I was planning to wear it to a baby shower I attended. Last Saturday. It ended up with lots of tweaks here and there and took me a full week to complete. But I love the end result:

I thought this design was SO CUTE when it came out last fall. Surprisingly I've not seen anyone else make it. I love the bottom puffs on the sleeves and mock wrap front with tie. The original pattern is of a really long tunic. I cut about 5 inches off the length. I think this top would look really cute in a solid color as well - would show off the design features better.

The neckline gave me the most trouble. I really can't tell you what I did because I sewed, ripped out, and resewed the overlap and gathers so many times! The facing isn't cut at the correct angle so in dented out. When I got that corrected the fabric along the gathers wasn't tight enough and needed to be taken in. With the overlap, there are 4 layers of fabric to manipulate in that area, not to mention the bottom bodice that the front has to be sewn onto. Not easy!

So, onto the sleeves. I got one all sewn up and onto the bodice. Tried it on. Not cute. The top of the sleeve was too long so the gathered portion hit right at my elbow, which put the bottom of the sleeve right above my wrist. Not to mention the inside upper sleeve (at the inner seam) was shorter then the outside upper sleeve, which made the puff hang a little wonky. I took it apart and trimmed 1.5" off the upper sleeve at the seam, grading up to 1.75" on the outer side. (Yes, I know I'm picky. That's why I make my own clothes.) It's a good thing I only made one sleeve and only had one to redo. The other one was a piece of cake.

I didn't notice this when I bought the pattern, but the bottom of the tunic is a mock-wrap as well. So you never have to worry about the wind blowing your top open, and it simplified the construction too. Pretty cool.

This might be a baby doll design but it is definitely fitted. My only issue is that the tie belt does not stay in place along the back. I made little thread loops for the sides and front to keep it in place, but can't very well do that in the back. I think I might have to tack it to the seam.

The inside was constructed with my typical french seams/bias tape finishes. I had to leave the center bodice seam alone. It has to stretch over my head to be worn so bias tape wouldn't work. This does bug me, but I don't know what else to do with it. This is when not having a serger is a disability.

I made view A. Isn't that apple green pretty in their drawing? I think I was as drawn to that color as I was to the design. Silly, I know.

Here's my boys during our inside photo shoot, trying to look cute so they can get their picture taken as well:

Okay, so yesterday our temperature high was 90 degrees. Yes, you read that right, 90. I was all prepared to make this BWOF dress next. It's 124A from the 2-2009 issue. I have the perfect fabric, and was going to run out today to get a zipper. Except that now the temperature has dipped down into the 60's again and my mood to make summer clothes vanished immediately.

15 comments:

  1. I start getting summer sewing fever when the temp hits 50 in Seattle. What a difference location makes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sleeves! Waaaa, I'm so cold I don't want to do any sewing. I can't wait for the Spring thaw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your top looks great - the tweaking definitely worked - your boys are super cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a gorgeous top. I love the blue with the black. May I just say that you have gorgeous hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Worth all that trouble as it looks really cute on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that top! You did a fabulous job with it. And I totally understand your frustration with the "easy" categories for patterns. I just finished a so-called "very easy" Vogue pattern. Let's just say it was "very easy" to keep me wanting to rip my eyes out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great top, lovely fabric, too

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do such a beautiful job, this looks great on you. I just had my first experience with jersey knit, it certainly didn't work out as nice as yours LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous top! The fabric is to die for. I can't say I've ever noticed this pattern before.

    Your boys are really cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your top looks great - it can be a bit of a lottery going by pattern drawings, yours looks much nicer and the fabric is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great top, and I absolutely love your fabric. Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous! I love your version much better than the original longer version! And the fabric is TDF!

    Your boys look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so cute! I love the colors and it fits nice. I enjoy your blog. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like your top, it turned out great. I know what you mean about killing the summer sewing mood. I live in Houston and the same thing happened to me this weekend while I was making some capris!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute top and two hansome young men.

    ReplyDelete