These cropped loose-fit jackets were all the rage last year. I'm hoping they're still in vogue this year... I told you I usually don't like styles when they first come out. Anyway, here it is! This design was very loose-fitting so I modified the pattern to be less blousy and actually made a muslin to check the fit. Can you believe it?!
I just love the tucks in the front and back and the cute little collar. The sleeves have slits on the bottom.
I added a full lining. The most difficult part of doing this was redesigning the front facing. It was smaller and curved around - hard to describe. I had to design it so it could be sewn to the front lining and also go into the first front tuck without any added bulk. Here you can see the bias tape sewn where the sleeve meets the bodice to cover the exposed seam there.
Here's a view of the back lining. I slipstitched it to the bottom hem.
Okay, about the buttons. The pattern calls for 3 - 1 1/2" buttons. I decided to use covered buttons because they blend into the fabric and with the amount of dots I already had, I didn't want to call attention to any more. Here's the result:
All I need is a red nose and some big floppy shoes to complete the look! So then I tried covered buttons in two smaller sizes. Then I tried no buttons and only snaps. Now I've got two medium sized buttons but only on the yoke. I left the snaps in case I change my mind again. I am usually not this indecisive!!!
My only issue with this fabric is when one of the dots got caught in a seam or here, where there were two right next to each other on both sides. Since they are embroidered I could remove them with the seam ripper using extreme caution. I had to remove about 6 or 7 dots or partial dots.
I made view D. I think it's cute, but won't be making any of the other views. I'm not sure how long this style will last, and it's honestly not the most flattering thing I've ever made.