Tuesday, June 24, 2008

In the works - Retro Green Tunic

Okay, so even though I should be making a birthday cake for a certain little boy who turned 4 today, I am totally addicted to blogging and feel I MUST show you what I'm working on!

See the girl (small drawing) on the left in the pink tunic and white pants? You might have to click on it to pull up a bigger picture. Anyway, I'm making the tunic length, sleeveless, without pockets and only one button. The body is the green fabric, and it will have a white neck band. I'm putting white piping down the front as I couldn't possibly match up the circles of the fabric.



Here's the fabric I'm using:


As you can see, I already have the piping in place. I learned a new technique for finishing the seams by looking at other blogs. Basically, you use 1/4" double fold bias tape to bind the inner seams so you don't have to finish them. I had two pieces of fabric coming together, plus the piping, and if I finished them all with a zigzag like usual, it would have been very bulky. Looks neater too, I think. I like my garments to be as pretty on the inside as the outside.


I did the same on the facings for the armholes:

I love learning new and useful things. This should be completed in 2 days or so. I'll post pictures of it then. Okay, off to make that cake...

No comments:

Post a Comment